Saturday, June 11, 2011

High Stakes Trades

by Kris Pitcher

Knowing the styrofoam containers in the refrigerator which had materialized over night had nothing in them for me...I put them out of my mind like they weren't even there. My husband had gone out to dinner the night before and he'd apparently brought home leftovers.

My curiosity wasn't even sparked in the least. Not on my plan. Whatever those little containers held could forever remain a mystery and I'd be fine. I prepped my meals for the day, packed my cooler and was ready to head out the door.

Then he brought the containers out and said, "I have something for you." Confusion. "For me?" I said. I think I might have even pointed at myself just to make sure we were understanding one another.

I looked from a safe distance over his shoulder as he opened the clam shell container. It was like Christmas. Four slices of cucumber, radishes, ginger...and a petite six piece cucumber roll.

"Do you want to trade this for your rice?" He asked me. "For my 1/4 cup oatmeal?" I clarified. "Today?" Just to be sure...

See, the rice in the roll was equivalent to my oatmeal (mostly). So it was a fairly safe (although "treaty") trade. Two things happened as we stood in the kitchen negotiating this high stakes trade.

First, we consider the technicality of the trade. Are the items equivalent? Being able to make trades in your plan is really important. In order to do that you need to understand the nutritional value of what you're eating. This trade for instance falls into the "treaty trade" category because while it's calorically similar, let's face it...the sushi rice is sweet for a reason.

Second, and more importantly - I needed to face my readiness and willingness to make a trade. Can I, recognizing when it's appropriate, stray from rigidity to implement a trade? This is what makes negotiating weight management over the duration of our lives, successful. We have to be able to bend.

These are "tools" that make you successful over the long term. Being flexible, and being able to make nutritional trades with your program. Set yourself up for success by making high stakes trades! And yes, I enjoyed my trade...very much!

No comments:

Post a Comment