Wednesday, November 24, 2010

How's Your Sleep Hygiene?

by Kris Pitcher

Trouble Sleeping?
For Halloween I was a Zombie, Ms. Ery. (Misery - very clever). The best part of my costume were my completely blood shot eyes. "How'd you get your eyes like that!?" was a comment I heard at least four times. At the time I was struggling with insomnia. So, my costume was simply playing up the natural beauty of those poor eyes. But lack of sleep is no joke, and many people struggle with it. Insufficient sleep is associated with chronic diseases like diabetes, cardiovascular disease, obesity (yes, it makes people fat), and depression.

How much do you need? Teens need 8.5-9.5 hours, that's why those kids will sleep all day on Sunday if you let them...you might want to let them. Adults need 7-9 hours each night. This comes from the National Sleep Foundation. Insomnia is the inability to fall or stay asleep that can result in functional impairment throughout the day. Boy howdy, no kidding. I had become a walking zombie. I couldn't make decisions. It got to the point where I felt I shouldn't be driving.

The promotion of regular sleep is called "sleep hygiene". Here are some simple sleep hygiene tips:

  • Go to bed at the same time each night, and get up at the same time each morning.
  • Sleep in a quiet, dark, relaxing environment, which is neither too hot, or too cold.
  • Make your bed comfortable and use if for sleeping and not for other activities, such as reading, watching TV, movies, or listening to music.
  • Remove all TVs, computers, and other "gadgets" from the bedroom.
  • Avoid physical activity within a few hours of bedtime.
  • Avoid large meals before bedtime.
Your sleep hygiene makes the difference between a great night or a restless night. Like my dental hygiene, I also have great sleep hygiene. It really makes a difference for me, I am all about my schedule. And with the exception of a bad night here or there, my insomnia isn't getting the best of me. Getting those much needed hours of sleep is critical to our health. Our body needs that recovery and repair time. Get a nap in over the holiday weekend if you get a chance, and get to bed on time. Night night!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment