Sunday, November 21, 2010

Nutrition, The Key

Nutrition, it's the key!
by Kris Pitcher
I borrowed this quote from Team Pitcher's fb page because it captures a topic I've been thinking a lot about lately. Nutrition is a powerful topic for a number or reasons. The power in what it can do for us when we use it as a tool is remarkable.

We are indeed much more than what we eat, but what we eat can nevertheless help us to be much more than what we are.
~Adelle Davis

The old adage, you are what you eat is really true. So, what are you? I got stuck yesterday at the grocery store. I was looking for a sauce to go with a shrimp appetizer. Every bottle I picked up was filled with high fructose corn syrup. Empty handed and broken hearted...I pushed my cart away. I didn't want that for my shrimp, or for my family.

Right there in the isle I decided I could do better, way better. So, I picked up a few items and I will make something home made, and "made up" to bathe the shrimp in. Sure we'll be celebrating and having extras, but that's no reason to throw caution to the wind.

During my same grocery trip I momentarily hovered over the 1/3 less fat cream cheese. Did you know there's corn syrup in there too? See, these are things I don't normally buy...so I had to double check the labels. What's in the real stuff? [Pasteurized milk and cream, cheese culture, salt, stabilizers (carob bean and/orxanthan and/or guar gums)] That's a little easier to swallow although I don't know why they can't/won't just tell you either/or which is in there.

You have a lot of choices to make about what and how you fuel your body. Choices about whether you medicate or celebrate with food. Do you drink alcohol, or skip it? Vegetarian, organic? All choices. There are no right or wrong answers either. Certainly, based on what your goals may be there are choices that are better than others. Choices which are necessary, or foods which don't fit in...for the goal you want.

Nutrition is a value laden subject. As you become more aware of your choices, think about how nutrition can help you become much more than you are. It really is the key to our success.   

No comments:

Post a Comment