Thursday, November 11, 2010

The Pusher

by Kris Pitcher

"Do you know what Saturday is?" My husband quizzed. "Saturday? Saturday's your Birthday!" I said. Then I remembered what else Saturday is...his cheat meal day. "You get a cheat meal!" I said. "What do you want to eat for your Birthday!?" And with that sentence I realized, I'm a pusher. It came out a little more wide eyed and excited than it should have, I might have even been rubbing my hands together in front of my toothy smile. Too much enthusiasm, the enthusiasm of a pusher. That was Monday.

Now it's Thursday and still no birthday meal planned, I'm not worried about that. He'll decide what he wants to have. What concerns me is the instinct to celebrate with food. With so many celebrations coming up for all of us, it's a good time to take stock and think about other ways we might celebrate. How do we enjoy spending time with our loved ones that isn't about food? What traditions do you have with your family? What things would you like to do instead of food based "activities" over the holidays?

Thinking of different ways to celebrate and have fun is important to staying the course of our goals. And when you eat clean you become kind of snobby about what your cheat meal consists of. Homemade pizza is a standby at our house, and he's not a cake-eater, so maybe a piece of pie or just a scoop of really good ice cream. Regardless, our Saturday will be spent celebrating his Birthday, not his meal. And I'll put that over excited food pusher in check, she's got no place here.

No comments:

Post a Comment