Tuesday, November 2, 2010

A Challenge We All Can Do!


by Kris Pitcher

My friend invited me (mild peer pressure) to join her in a challenge. The last challenge she did involved push-ups before each meal. I did not do that challenge, I'm not crazy. So when she invited me, I immediately said yes. Then I remembered the push-ups and added no, followed by a non-committal, safe...maybe. But this challenge is one we all can do!

Step Up Spokane, right here in Spokane USA, is challenging us to take 10,000 steps per day. I'll be honest, I'm not a "participator", I like to do my own thing. But I figure, I'm going to do my cardio anyway because it's part of my lifestyle. Why not measure it? I'm active anyway. Why not measure it? I park further away, take the long route & walk a lot during my day. Why not measure it for 120 days? If I can do it so can you!

For between free and about $15 you can get yourself a pedometer which will measure how many steps you take. There are also calculators online that convert your activity into steps. The Step Up Spokane website will even convert it for you, how easy is that?

So, as the clouds threatened rain yesterday, I looked down at my pedometer & grabbed my umbrella to hit the trail for my 45 minute lunchtime walk. When I got back, I could hardly wait to see how many steps it had added. I was more excited than I could remember for a long time!
Today will be my first full day of counting steps. I have no idea if I'll get to the recommended daily 10,000 steps. Certainly, I'll never know if I don't measure. I'm willing to step up to the challenge, are you?

No comments:

Post a Comment