Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Keep Racing!

by Kris Pitcher

"Perseverance is not a long race; 
it is many short races one after another." Walter Elliott 

This couldn't be more true. It certainly suits the journey toward health and fitness. And it most definitely suits the journey for the competitor. I'll warn you as I get closer, I have days of inspiration, ideas and creative thought...and other days. 

On the "other" days, I engage in many short races. I know you have days like this too. As I get things checked off my list I'm happy to have completed them. But I could just as easily skip them...except for the fact that I will actually be on stage in less than four weeks. There's no skipping.

Have you been skipping because your goal fell off your radar? Summer can tend to do that. As the nights cool and the leaves threaten to turn colors and fall - it might be a good time to focus your many short races. Structure is on it's way back into our lives as we turn the calendar, why not get back to focusing on your health and fitness.

We give up on our short races and feel like we've let ourselves down. But if we put all those little things together, that's what builds success. Perseverance. Morning cardio, check it off the list - short race. Pack meals, check - short race. Make it to the gym with socks and sports bra, success - short race. You get the idea. It's everything working together that makes us successful in the end. 

Perseverance is doing the things we need to do even when we don't want to, we're too tired to, or no one is looking. It's what we do to keep going - it's not a long race. It's all the short races that make up your day. Keep racing. Keep going. Persevere! 


No comments:

Post a Comment