Saturday, September 3, 2011

Who's the Fairest of Them All?

by Kris Pitcher

If beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I'd say I have been lucky to have spent most of my life surrounded by beholders. We each have our unique style of beauty...mine through history has tended to be short, stout, and curly.

There were times I'd describe it as painful. I didn't make good choices in hair, make-up, and certainly had my own style of dress. Thankfully, hair products have come a LONG way, and I've found what works for me. I still argue it takes a strong person to love someone who wakes up looking like they've walked through a hurricane.

All that aside, when it comes down to it you are who you think you are. Thus I am thankful for my life of beholders. They are the ones who told me I was the prettiest in the room, in the class, at the party etc. They are the ones who have always loved me regardless of whether my hair looks like cotton candy when I wake up. They are my beholders, the ones who see me as beautiful.

Who are your beholders? Who are the people you can be your authentic self with? Who helped shape your sense of beauty in this world? Most of us don't fit the airbrushed societal definition of "beautiful". We just don't. Yet, there is beauty in each of us worth celebrating.

It's worth taking a moment to think about who shaped your ideas about beauty, and to give some thought to what makes you unique. We've all had our stages of experimenting with looks and fashion that didn't work for us. And they didn't work because they weren't us. Find what's you. After all, you are the fairest of them all!

No comments:

Post a Comment