Thursday, September 29, 2011

Walk A Day In My Two's

by Kris Pitcher

My closet contains pants from a size 10 to one pair which is a size 2. Six weeks ago, I went to the "skinny" pile to see what might fit. The smaller of the pile stayed in the closet...I laughed out loud.

Still donning my sixes I kept at my contest prep like a solid soldier. Four weeks out, I tried the pile again and another pair fit. The twos remained lone wolves in the pile. "Sorry, you may never fit." I told them. My figure is different this year. My quads are bigger, my glutes are bigger. I am not a two.

Two weeks out, guess what? I was back at the pile. My sixes were falling off and my one pair of 4's rotated through my work week pretty fast. Still no two's. Not gonna happen, I thought to myself. Not this year. And I was OK with that because my goal was to be bigger, better than last year.

Contest week. Depletion week. Some might say...hell week. Tuesday when I stepped on the scale and saw the number I thought..."Today's the day!" I already had my outfit layed out, but it had rained so why not make a change in plans. I stood in front of the pile. I looked at the pair of 2's in the closet.

Taking a deep breath, I put them on - not even snug. Today would be the day. The ONE day. It had taken 21.5 weeks of dieting, and half of depletion week to walk a day in my two's. And Tuesday it was. I wore them. And that would be the only day of the year that would happen.

Last year I had more days when I wore them. Next year I will likely have none. I plan to exchange them at an upcoming clothing exchange party, because frankly walking in my two's was anticlimactic. There wasn't a parade. No one knew except me. I didn't arrive to work to find a banner across my door reading, "Congratulations on wearing your two's!" It was hardly an accomplishment.

My point is, don't lose perspective over the numbers in your closet. You just are the size you are. Wishing yourself to be a size for just one day is silly. I know, because I walked a day in my two's.

No comments:

Post a Comment