Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Little Half, Big Deal

by Kris Pitcher

Part of what makes us successful in this weight management journey is to figure out what makes us tick. Learning about the things that trip us up about food can take a life time, or many trips to the therapists couch.

I just try to be aware and open to my feelings about food in the moment. And recently I had a, "little half, big deal" moment.

Growing up the (slightly) younger of two girls, the only fair way to do anything was to draw straws. I think my mom was brilliant to have us do this. Sometimes the one who drew the long straw got the thing, sometimes the one who drew the short straw. You never knew.

But for some reason, you felt like you got the short end of the stick. My sister would surely say exactly the same. Neither is wrong, or right. It's only my arm chair psychology that says my wanting the big half of anything is at all related.

If I cut something in half, I want the big half. I don't need the big half. The small half is perfectly fine, and satisfactory, and plenty in itself. The halves are likely nearly identical.

So the other day when I cut an avocado, half of which I was going to use right away, and half of which I was going to put in the refrigerator for Jacques...I took the small half.

I recognized it in that moment. I no longer need the big half. And while it might seem like a small thing to most, it's one of those breakthrough moments when time just kind of stops. I put the big half in the container and put it in the fridge.

Successful weight management takes a life time. It takes learning who you are and how your brain works about food. It takes allowing yourself to be human and have silly "rules" which make zero sense.

As you learn about those, you can recognize and change them. It takes paying attention and being deliberate. It takes work and persistence. It takes a little half, big deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment