Friday, May 6, 2011

Hooping, Not Just For Kids

by Kris Pitcher

In my mind, there are things I think I can do. Hula hooping is one of them. Shooting the duck on my four wheels is another, but let's just take things one at a time here.

Upon execution...my memories jolt, quickly reminding me that I am not 12 years old. But "Hooping" isn't just for kids. This is a craze that is sweeping the group exercise world, circling it's way into fitness centers all over.

Of course hula hooping predates the 1950s, but this is the new hooping. Hoops are used not just around the waist but also around limbs for extra movement. The key is having the right size and weight of hoop. Yes, these hoops are weighted making for a slower turn, and a more resisted turn. Meaning you've got to do more work. How fun!

A kid's version won't do...unless you're kid sized. Your hoop needs to stand waist or nipple high from the ground. Then you put it around your waist, put one foot in front of the other and shift your weight. You're hooping!

Imagine choreographed workouts using a hoop?! A room full of 40-something hoopers...hooping it up! I'm willing to bet that in your mind, you can hoop too. Give it a whirl!

No comments:

Post a Comment