Thursday, October 6, 2011

The Hangover

by Kris Pitcher

It started with a twitch behind my right eye. Then came the headache from the back of my neck, reaching around to cup the side of my head and face like a giant warm hand. My stomach was hurting and on the drive into work I started to get cramps.

I realized I was making scrunched up faces and hoped the cars around me on the slow moving freeway couldn't see me wincing in pain. Relax and breath I thought, relax and breath. My throat was dry and no amount of water seemed to quench my thirst. I just kept drinking and drinking.


How do people do this day after day I wondered? This had just been three days and I could hardly take it. Hunched over in pain I made my way to the ladies room for another bout of gastrointestinal distress. Was there a twelve step program for this?


My coworker came in to talk to me and my head felt fuzzy. I could barely focus on what she was telling me. I shoveled fish and green beans into my mouth...yes it was breakfast. Water, drink water. For a moment I wished I had "people" to make me a cup of tea. I was on my own. I never made the tea.


By mid morning my headache was in full force. My right eye looked like I was stroking out. At least that's what it felt like. How would I make it through the day with this hangover. I had been on a three day bender...a sugar and carbohydrate bender. And boy did I feel bent.


Puffy, stuffy, bloated and gassy. I felt head achy, sick to my stomach, and literally crappy. It's amazing what an apple fritter can do to you. But it wasn't just that. It was the brownies. They were so delicious I told the creator I would marry her for them. It was the chocolate-chocolate chip-bacon cookies, the Angus burger (we did share the fries). It was the small dish of cheesecake flavored frozen yogurt from Chillin (I wouldn't go back there). It was the homemade lasagna, the bananas foster (oh man that was good).


By Wednesday morning I was sick of it. Back on the treadmill, I was crawling out of my skin. My bender is just about over. And I seriously don't know how people do this to their bodies day in and day out. It. Is. Exhausting. I'm ready to say goodbye to the hangover and hello to what's next. I am ready to be on the wagon, the clean eating wagon. All aboard! 

No comments:

Post a Comment