Thursday, October 27, 2011

Smash and Grab!

by Kris Pitcher

No deodorant, no lotion. No deodorant? No sweat! Well, maybe a little. But I had gone days before so a morning without would be no problem for me. I am good at following certain rules.

I had been putting this off because I didn't want to pay the $350 deductible for the test. That's a pretty good preventative care method in my book. Then I was feeling guilty for not taking care of myself. Then I was thinking that it would be lame not to get one...if it found something...I'm worth $350...maybe even $400!

As I looked into it I found that new legislation passed making the mammogram exempt from the annual deductible. So, while my doctor will not see me this year if I can help it (I've made it practically to November!) I called to schedule my mammogram appointment.

The American Cancer Society recommends annual screenings for women beginning at age 40 who are at average risk for cancer. I know right, "She can't be 40!" Tell it to my mom!

While having your mammogram doesn't reduce your risk of getting cancer, it means you are more likely to find cancer earlier.

The American Cancer Society says that we can reduce our risk of cancer by limiting alcohol, exercising regularly, and maintaining a healthy weight. They also suggest several months of breast-feeding reduces risk, as does avoiding post-menopausal hormone therapy.

There you have it. Time to smash and grab! If you aren't having your annual mammograms you need to. And for you guys out there, ask your ladies, your lady, if she's having her regular mammogram. Early detection is the best preventative measure we can take.

No comments:

Post a Comment