Saturday, October 29, 2011

Bliss Break Up

by Kris Pitcher

I've been on both sides of the "break up". Mostly, I've been the breaker, and have occasionally been the broken. That hurts. There's a point in the conversation where you realize what's happening. "Wow," you think, "this is really happening!" "You're breaking up with me?!"

And you can imagine my surprise because frankly, I have a lot to offer. Passion, knowledge, commitment...a sense of humor. So when the news came that my gym no longer welcomed my blog post on their face book page I was, in the words of my grandmother, flabbergasted.

The gym broke up with me. With Bliss. No longer welcome. Hmm? Had I said something offensive? No. Badmouthed, hm-mm. No. I am considered a threat to their business. Flab. Ber. Gasted.

As the manager told me, in a sit down meeting. I was a little confused. I think of Bliss as a benefit to their members. I am providing (free) content to their fb community. I'm not pushing, or selling anything. I'm not weird about anything in particular...I don't really have an "agenda".

I suggested that if they did not want people participating in their fb community they could utilize the settings on their page so that members could not post. Confusion. Then it was clear that they want participation...just not from me.

The sheer irony is that following the break up, a member came up to me while we were working out and said how much she loves reading my blog everyday! She said it helps her...and there you go. (thanks Shelly)

While I have ZERO revenue stream, trickle, or drip from writing (nada, zilch, zippo) I am a threat to the gym I work out at because it's possible someone might read my blog, connect me to my husband's business and decide to enact their consumer rights to buy what they want from whom they want. We weren't in yoga class, but for me that was a stretch.

So, while you won't find me on my gym's fb page, you know where to find me *smile*. My heart does ache a little though.

1 comment:

  1. It's always sad when a relationship ends! I think it's unfortunate that the other half chose to end things, but weren't you the one whole held my hand and told me that my own relationship ending was only to make way for bigger and better? That's true here, too!

    ReplyDelete