Monday, October 3, 2011

This Doesn't Taste The Same?

by Kris Pitcher

I was pretty excited to eat my oatmeal with Truvia Sunday morning. I went downstairs to the underground pantry where I had hidden my stash of artificial sweetener. It was right there with the crystal light, the microwave popcorn, the natural fruit leather, cocoa powder and all the other "off limits" items banned from my contest diet.

After flicking the little green packet I opened it and sprinkled it on my oatmeal. I was giddy. I could almost taste the sweetness start to overcome my tongue. I stirred it in and settled in for what would be a real treat.

Only, it didn't taste like I thought it was going to. It had a chemical after taste. It wasn't like I remembered it. And that's when I realized...I'm ruined. It's no secret I am a self proclaimed food snob. First of all if I can make it better at home I don't want to pay a bunch of money for an inferior meal out at a restaurant.

Second, if I am going to eat something special...it better be REAL special. And the problem is things don't taste how I remember. And they don't because most things are just garbage. They are crap. So, I'm ruined and I am perfectly fine with that.

So, now I can save myself the $6 per green box of Truvia, because it doesn't taste the same and I can do without it. As I cleaned out my diet I also cleaned out my palette. I can taste things like a super hero now. The natural sweetness of the oats is apparent to me without anything extra on it.

Don't worry! I'm still washing my hair and wearing deodorant! I've just gone natural with my food and I don't think there's really much sense in going too far back the other way. It just doesn't taste the same.

1 comment:

  1. Seriously. Truvia tastes like junk to me now! And I definitely don't have the same feelings about brownies like I used to. Found that one out the hard way. :|

    ReplyDelete