Thursday, October 13, 2011

Impostors Go Road Tripping

by Kris Pitcher


As an empty sugar free Rock Star can rolled around under my feet and I could barley get the door open from the garbage piling up in the car. I felt like those impostor chickens. You know the ones trying to be Foster Farms chickens.

I was definitely plumped and bloated. Licking my fingers of the grease and who knows what from the carmel flavored Bugles we had just snarfed down I crumpled the bag and added it to the collection of rubbish. The chemical taste which first hit my tongue was quickly gone after the second, or third handful.

"That tastes like cereal," Jacques said of my gas station impulse buy. I suggested he put Bugles on each finger and drive that way. He didn't. We were on our way home from a long road trip, and it would be the final eats on a week of no pressure "eat whatever" non-dieting. I did win a breakfast sandwich at McDonald's playing their Monopoly game. Big winner! (tasty sandwich...)

Diet soda, trail mix, hamburgers, lots of coffee, a few snickers ice cream bars...and we were plumped just like the impostor chickens. Fat, sugar and salt had us gasping, burping, and um...gassing up the car.

We ate protein bars and pate sandwiches, drank nitro shots and trucker pop. All the great road trip essentials. A long weekend, three states, a time zone and boy were we glad to be back home. All that garbage left us with headaches, bowel trouble and an appreciation for good clean food.

So, having experienced the wide open road, these chickens were happy to be safe and sound in their own kitchen broiling fish and steaming rice. It was right back on schedule this week and it feels good to be back. From here on out it's pack the cooler and eat the plan. No more impostor chicken road trips for us! That one wore us out! 

No comments:

Post a Comment