Tuesday, October 18, 2011

MRSA Coming Soon!

by Kris Pitcher

I'm a casual observer of life. So when I saw a guy at the gym dressing his bloody knuckle so he could get back to lifting I immediately thought about things that start with the letter "M".

Things like mucosal membranes. I have also seen people leave the bathroom without washing their hands. Not that any of you would ever do that...but I've seen it happen. I've seen nose blowing, picking, and the occasional scratching in places that shall not be named.

Big deal? Well the point is we are all touching the same stuff at the gym. I'm using those same dumbbells you just put down. And in my cartoon head...they're all covered in poop! Now, I know that's not true or I would never leave my house.

But bacteria surrounds us. And the thing that popped into my brain - mucosal membranes - can protect you if you let them. Our mucus membranes line cavities which are exposed to the external environment. They absorb and secrete. We are concerned about their ability to absorb the bacteria left around by everyone else.

They cover our nose, mouth, lips, eyelids, ears (and our genitals & anus - which I hope you're not touching at the gym). These are the gateways for bacteria to easily enter our bodies and create infection. Infection like methicillin-resistant staphylococcus aureus or MRSA. You know, staph infection. Yick!

I knew a gal who's daughter got MRSA about 5 times in one year from her gym. Her gym probably wasn't any dirtier than any other. She was likely a mucous membrane toucher. Keep your hands away from your face!

This is a good rule all the time, not just at the gym. This along with frequent hand washing will keep you bacteria free. MRSA ranges from the not so serious skin infection of a boil or sore, to the life-threatening should the bacteria find its way deep inside you to your bones, joints, blood stream, or lungs.

MRSA is one of the most common causes of infection and is highly adaptable. It's been called the "super bug" because of it's resistance to antibiotics. Don't touch your face, and wash your hands with soap and hot water.

The next time I see you at the gym and you're touching your ears, nose, eyes etc. I'm going to have a hard time not swatting your hands away from your mucosal membranes. Those barriers are there for a reason. We're trying to help you here!

No comments:

Post a Comment