Tuesday, October 4, 2011

A Night of Champions

by Kris Pitcher

Saturday was an amazing and rewarding experience competing in the Night of Champions. It was the culmination of 22 weeks of preparation...of dieting rather. It had been a year of preparation, and 5 months of dieting. As we drove to the venue that morning Jacques said, "Can you believe this is it for you?"

Just one show. This would be it. There had been years when I had done multiple shows in a row, up to 4 shows! Yikes, if that's not a marathon. I told him I really thought of it as the whole journey, not just the contest day, Was I comforting myself? I honestly didn't think so, I really think of the whole process not just the stage time on contest day.

As we returned for the evening show there was a sense of feeling a bit more relaxed. But at the same time, a heightened sense of the performance. Your family is there, you've got to perform your routine. You need to dig deep to find the energy to get through the final stretch. And the day had been spent staying on point.

This means a cup of ice chips, clean protein, dry carbs...keeping things tight. There was no trip through the drive through for a Big Mac between the morning and evening shows this time. And the show was on!

Watching competitors and coaches back stage is a sport in itself. This is something I love to do, It's fascinating, it's mesmerizing, it let's you know you might have a leg up, know more, or just be completely confused. It's interesting to say the least. Plus it's fun to talk to other people, meet other competitors and the whole deal.

The order of the show meant that we were up for mixed pairs first. Our routine was set to Imelda May's "Big Bad Handsome Man". It was fun, we pulled it off and won first place. The pace was set for the evening, and the wins just kept coming.

It was shortly after that when I realized I would need to do my individual routine. I hadn't given it much thought in the last few days. There had been so much else going on. Individual routines are not scored, but you still want to do a good job. I ran through it in my head a few times took a deep breath and it was over before I knew it.

Being on stage is a bit surreal. It's bright, but you can't really see past the judging table. Plus, I'm not wearing my glasses - so there's that. It's loud, but you can't really hear anything. I always feel like I'm in this big warm bubble. There are hundreds of people out there, you're in a tiny posing suit (which you hope stays glued in place this time) and you just try not to look terrified, and oh remember to smile!

I won my open lightweight class. My dad noted that Optimum Nutrition needs to put a handle on their 5 pound jugs of protein because no one can pick them up. After posing for the photographers..."Do your most muscular" Jacques said, I was able to pick up my trophy and protein and make it off the stage.

Next up would be competing for the overall title. The heavyweight winner and I take the stage and the head judge takes us through mandatory poses. Quarter turns, then poses - which is nice for the audience to see how we are compared. And then comes an amazing and special moment. I win the overall title!

Dave Patterson the MC hands me the microphone and asks if I want to say anything. WELL, yes I DO!  I had lots of people to thank. Lots! I know there are many people who have earned the overall title before, and some multiple times. But it's something I never thought would happen for me. I'm proud of the progress I made, proud of the dedication, and of myself for doing the work. Dang! They gave me a sword!

Jacques would go on to win his middleweight class. This is always the toughest class in most competitions. He did remarkable work and brought his best physique ever to the stage. His conditioning is his best ever, and he's excited for what's around the corner. Nationals.

And as things were winding down, as competitors were clearing out back stage and the night was closing - he was waiting to compete against the class winners for overall. (He scored 3rd in that lineup.) Then they called out the team award.

The team award went to Team Pitcher! Jacques brought in six athletes earning 4 first place, an overall, and 2 third place wins. Way to go Jacques! And so it was a Night of Champions.

1 comment: