Friday, October 21, 2011

Think Before You Drink

by Kris Pitcher

Fall is here and so are the layered looks and the giant hand warming mugs of hot drinks. But cozy sippers be warned, your tasty mug can pack a calorie punch and pack on the pounds. Between the pumpkin lattes and the hot chocolate a splurge here and there can add up.

The coffee house is buzzing and the cinnamon and cardamon are thick in the air. The chai seems like a good idea as you shiver from the brisk air outside. Don't be so quick to derail your plan though.

I did a double take when I realized a festive 16 oz. peppermint white chocolate mocha packs 470 calories. Wow! That pumpkin spice creme latte is 320 for the same 16 oz., and you're doing yourself no favor with your white hot chocolate at 410 calories. "I don't know why I'm not making any progress, I just have one coffee each morning?"


Seriously if I had a nickel for every time that one came up. Embrace the season and that warm mug at the same time but stick to the 120 calorie cappuccino, or the standard latte at 190 calories for the 16 oz. size. Or, stick with coffee, black, for a whopping 5 calories. I know, I know.

The point is, do you want to drink your calories and laced with sugar and fat none the less? Think of the insulin spike these will cause. Think before you drink this season. Keep your goals in mind as you make choices at the coffee house and don't get caught up in the season. Get a mug up on the holidays by thinking ahead in this easy area.

No comments:

Post a Comment