Tuesday, October 25, 2011

I Know I'm Different

by Kris Pitcher

I spent a few days traveling for work last week and it dawned on me...I'm different. I don't mean that I'm unique or witty, or that I'm the life of the party. I'm barley one of those.

I mean that the way I choose to live my life is not average. I read one of those pre-printed signs popping up all over face book that read, "This isn't off-season, it's a lifestyle." And thank you by the way for all those signs, now we don't have to come up with something clever to say for our status updates.

But it's true, the way I eat and train is my lifestyle. It's not a diet. It's not one phase of contest prep or another. It's my lifestyle. My lifestyle used to be eating bowls of cereal on the couch. I prefer what I have chosen now.

I don't think it's extreme to eat clean and fuel with healthy macro nutrients in the appropriate proportions. It's not extreme to show up with my cooler to ensure I have what I need when I need it. It's not unrealistic to be working toward a goal. It's not rude to say, "No thank you." to foods or alcohol which will be toxins to my efforts.

Explaining my choices falls deaf on some ears and is understood by others. Some people get glazed over right away with even the most overarching answer to their questions. Outside of my regular environment, I tend to stick out. I stuck out at the hotel gym. I stuck out in a meeting as I pulled a baggie of chicken from my purse to put on a salad.

Being different helps me not be conflicted with my values. It helps me make choices in alignment with the outcomes I want. I'm not different from everyone...just most everyone. I was the only one running through the airport with my small carry on backpack, and my soft-sided cooler (which does fit under the seat back in front of me) to make it to the gate for departure.

And as I made my way through the security gate to see my husband waiting for me upon my arrival, I was really glad to be home. At least here my 'different' is the same as his. I know I'm different and I don't mind it one bit.

2 comments:

  1. What a breath of fresh air... *sigh*... thanks for posting Kris. I'm in grad school and live in a college town. Needless to say, I'm a bit "different" around here too. I hate having to defend my lifestyle all the time. I don't pick at others lifestyle, so I don't know why people think they have the right to pick at mine. I can handle that, but the worst is when people think I automatically judge them :( It hurts so bad to know that sometimes my presence (or my bag of chicken at the table) automatically makes people defensive. It feels GREAT when my "difference" inspires someone to change their unhealthy habits, but it doesn't feel so great when I just see insecurities and defenses. Do you get that feeling?
    Thanks again for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! I remind people I am not the food police. I don't judge and don't expect others to do what I do. In turn, don't expect me to eat the giant cake in the work room either! Thanks for your comment!

    ReplyDelete