Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Top 10 "Positives" for Off Season

by Kris Pitcher

As a competitor, you can get the blues after the big day. For any athlete after the competition is over...figuring out what to do after the big day is a challenge. Without a solid plan you can spiral down hill into a bag of doughnut holes wiping tears away with powdered sugar hands. No this didn't happen to me...it didn't.

Looking for the bright side of things I came up with my Top 10 List of Things I'm Looking Forward to During Off Season: (OK not the queen of brevity there)

  1. I get two carb cycle days in my off season diet - rather than only one
  2. I get to work on improvements in my physique - making gains 
  3. Being able to lift heavy again - having my strength back (you need some meat on your bones to lift heavy)
  4. Filling out my bras again - this is the plus side of having body fat
  5. It will be winter so I can wear sweat pants and sweat shirts to cover up my off season size
  6. I'll still get a cheat meal every week - yum!
  7. I only have to do ONE cardio session a day - instead of 2
  8. My husband says I put fat on nicely and he likes me even better off season (he's sweet)
  9. I won't freeze (as much) through the winter - hello insulation
  10. I'll be THAT much better next context season! 
Taking time off to train and get better is part of the game. People forget that you can't have your contest body all year long. It doesn't work that way. Getting my plan going, and focusing on all the positive aspects of off season has me mentally prepared for moving forward. And after a great result this year, I'm excited to get going on making gains and improvements toward the physique I'll bring to the stage next time.

It's not just about the time you spend for a millisecond on stage, it's about the entire process...beginning now. 

1 comment: