Saturday, October 22, 2011

If I Were A Flower, Impatient

by Kris Pitcher

If I were a flower I would be the Impatien. It's important to note I thought these flowers were called "impatients", with a "t". There is no T. I never slowed down to notice.

There are many different species of the impatien, both annual and perennial. There are even tropical species. It is also known as the jewelweed. It is considered a shade annual most commonly.

I would be a tropical species...
They are know for their prominent eye, surrounded by petals. They do need some light to bloom though so if you're growing impatiens inside, they need indirect light each day. Jewelweed is a folk remedy for the bee sting, insect bites, poison ivy and stinging nettle.

It sounds like the impatien has a lot to offer. I had to stop to notice though because I was looking for impatients. Sometimes we are looking for things, without seeing what is in front of us.

We're searching impatiently. It's no wonder we are frantically and chronically disappointed. We. Need. To. Slow. Down. We need to use our eyes, our prominent eyes, to see what's happening all around us...rather than searching for something different.

What do you have right in front of you that may have slipped out of your sight recently? What have you become impatient about? Are there things you could look at differently?

Make a cup of tea, sit down, unplug and look around at your life. You might just like what you see.

No comments:

Post a Comment