Saturday, June 16, 2012

Measuring Progress

by Kris Pitcher

Last week, I presented myself in my posing suit (teeny-tiny) to my husband in the living room. Wearing my figure heels I did my quarter turns asking him, "Is this going to be anything?" Then, my cat bit me on the leg.

We confirmed that indeed..."this" is going to be something this season. Meaning, I'm on track. He checks in his official capacity as my trainer. And, he monitors unofficially as my husband.

But, I thought he should see me in my suit. And, I actually didn't look like I was hiding Twinkies in or around my body. Not bad.

So, how do you know if you're on track or not with your plan? How do you measure and what should you be measuring? Do you have anyone you can check in with?

All important questions. Important because - you can't see what an impartial eye can see. Sometimes you don't think you're on track at all when actually you are. Monitoring your progress is critical to keeping your head in check.

It's also the only way to know if you need to change anything. You can use the scale, although I think you know how I feel about that. I use it only as a guideline, a vague reference. You can also use a measuring tape. A great tool which you can use yourself.

If you have a qualified and competent clinician you can have a body composition test done using calipers, or a variety of other methods. They're all relatively accurate...to a degree. Once you choose a method and a tester, keep them both so you can compare apples to apples.

You can take progress pictures. Bleck! The idea of that makes me want to barf. You don't have to even look at them now. But, you might be glad later that you have them to look back on.

Ultimately, for me during this process having someone else look at me is the best measure of all. He said, "Did you look at yourself?" No, I explained...we don't have a full length mirror. (Seems dangerous doesn't it?)

So, I don't really know what I look like. I trust that I'm looking better every week. And if the cat is any indication, I'm delicious. She is after all a carnivore and I have suspected for years she's been after me.

Give some thought to how you monitor your progress. It's important to know if you are making the changes you intend to make. It's important so that you can confirm your hard work, and feel empowered and energized to keep going. How are you doing?

No comments:

Post a Comment