Sunday, August 14, 2011

The Final Stretch - Forgetty

by Kris Pitcher

Friend at the gym: Hey Kris how are you? Me: I'm forgetty. Him: Already?


Forgetty: the state of forgetting what you're supposed to remember, and remembering completely random and slightly nut-jobby stuff.


Yep, already. With seven weeks to go until the contest, I'm finding we (my husband and I) need to work as a team to make sure everyone arrives in one piece. But it's the random, racing thoughts that make competitors feel like they have their own slice of crazy.

"Doesn't anyone else in this meeting have to pee? I wonder if there's a body part in that garbage bag on the side of the freeway. My bra is baggy.  I wish I could sleep. Did I stop at that sign? Why doesn't anyone else ever eat? I hate her because her shoulders are nice and she's wasting it. I need to paint my toes. When should I schedule my hair color? What is that guy listening to? I'm going to have to give up my gum soon. What am I going to wear to my work function next week? What if I don't have any ideas? That dog shouldn't be out. If that car hits me in this cross walk I am screwed for my contest. I wonder what my sister's doing. The couch needs to be vacuumed. My pill box tells me what day it is. I don't think I'm from Shoreline..."

Racing, random, unimportant, crap. It's running through my head - and I'm telling you because I know I am not the only one. I'm not the only one am I?

So, I'll work hard to focus. I'll make lists, organize, and de-clutter. We'll work together to make sure each other is covered, has their keys/phone/pants etc. before they walk out the door. We'll work the routine. The final stretch is here...I can tell because I forgot what this post was supposed to be about.



No comments:

Post a Comment