Saturday, December 10, 2011

What People Notice About You

by Kris Pitcher

I wouldn't say I fit in in high school. Sure, I had friends. I actually had lots of friends I'd grown up with, but by high school we were each a little different. To my own fault I wasn't a participator. I didn't play sports, wasn't in cheer, drama, clubs or groups. I didn't really fit in with any of the cliques, I felt invisible.

In the era of Poison, glam rock, parachute pants and giant hair...I made a lot of bad fashion decisions, and couldn't have been invisible.

I never got my heart broken by the star football player. I dated older guys who would try to control me. In the end it didn't work out to their advantage. And I ate my way through my awkwardness. I never felt part of anything.

You might not feel part of anything either. What you might not know, and what I learned much later - is that you are part of an important community. That community is your gym community.

When you're not there people notice. Whether you make a lot of conversation with people, or just a friendly hello, you are part of the culture of your gym. And I notice, people notice, when you're gone.

Whether you are the quiet one on the third treadmill from the left, the one who's usually in the front row of class, or the person anyone can count on for a spot you are missed when you don't make it to the gym.

This is the time of year when the die-hards are wondering where you are. It's time to get back in, and beat the New Year rush. You are after all part of a community, and you are not invisible. It's what people notice about you.

No comments:

Post a Comment