Thursday, March 29, 2012

Candy Food

by Kris Pitcher

I'm coming after coffee creamer today. I love coffee. I drink it every day. I used to drink it with creamer, then with milk, then with soy milk. And now I drink it black.

I realize it's been a progression for me and I don't expect anyone to give up their candy food creamer right off the bat. And like all nutritional choices, it's about personal values. It's up to you.

Cafe mocha, peppermint, pumpkin spice, Irish cream, hazelnut, sugar cookie, vanilla, there's even one flavored cafe latte. Coffee flavored creamer. Hmm?

It's the idea of making sugary sweet drinks when we are trying to be "healthy" that seems like it doesn't mix for me. The chemicals, the dextrose, the partially hydrogenated oils in this stuff isn't worth the 35 calories per tablespoon. And I've seen it poured into coffee by the quarter cup full. That's not 35 calories.

When I think about clean eating, candy food just doesn't fit for me. I would rather train my taste buds to appreciate an occasional piece of fruit, or the sweetness of oats. When we decrease these kinds of chemicals and additives from our diets we can actually taste our food.

A sprinkle of cinnamon, or a fresh grating of nutmeg on your coffee will wake you up in a whole new way. You'll actually taste your coffee too. Enjoy a hot cup of coffee, however you take it. Just consider your clean eating habits and choices as you sip.

No comments:

Post a Comment