Wednesday, March 21, 2012

In Your Face, Fear!

by Kris Pitcher

It's funny sometimes the things we are afraid of. Like, not doing things right. Or, failing at something. Recently I screwed something up, and then had to go right back at it.

The building I work in is alarmed. I thought I knew how to turn it off...except I put the wrong code in and the alarm went off. I mean it was screeching. I didn't know what to do, or who to call.

I panicked. And of course I was loaded down with my cooler, my computer bag, my purse...I had my coat on. A minute or so went by and I heard the door open, thank goodness one of my colleagues had arrived. He punched in some codes. The wrong one at first. Meanwhile, I called the security company.

Everything worked out, and I learned the code along with how to punch it in right. The next day, I was the first one to arrive again. I wondered if I should sit in my car for a while.

Nope, I marched right in there and punched in the code, disarming the alarm. Whew! I did it, I faced my fear of it going off again. My colleague was right behind me and said, "Wow! I can't believe you came right in here and turned it off after yesterday."

"What was I going to do," I said, "sit in my car?" He laughed and told me he sat in his car for almost a month. I guess I am not afraid to face things, I'm fairly direct. And really what's the worst that's going to happen if we try things?

What's the worst that will happen if you do something you've been putting off because you're afraid? Have you been playing it safe in your life? Have you been sitting on your hands not tackling things you need to do?

It's time to walk right in and get things done in your life. Stop worrying about what might happen, or if you might fail. It's time to take initiative to go the extra mile in your own life, for you. It's easy. In your face, fear!

No comments:

Post a Comment