Saturday, March 24, 2012

Head Shots

by Kris Pitcher

I was recently introduced in my organization's newsletter. It was an opportunity to share a photo and bio so as the new person on the block, people would know who I am.

Holding my Pyrex container with my chicken and broccoli I was milling about as people were gathering for a pot luck. We have a lot of pot lucks. I introduced myself to a volunteer who I hadn't met before.

"Oh," he said, "I read about you in the newsletter." Great, I thought! "I never would have recognized you from your picture though." He went on. I couldn't wait to hear what he was about to say.

"Frankly, I wondered how the person in that picture could do all those activities in the bio." He said. "But you're obviously a vibrant young person." He finished.

It was a head shot. And he'd just called me fat. I smiled and told him I wasn't the most photogenic. Then I moved on to greet others I hadn't yet met.

While grateful for his honesty, it reinforced the fact that I don't like to have my picture taken. And I don't like to be told my head is fat. I did appreciate the fact that once I was standing in front of him he noted I was both vibrant, and young (I fooled him on that one).

So much for my debut in the newsletter...and you can bet I won't be doing any professional, or otherwise, head shots any time soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment